Monday, July 13, 2009

Motivational Tip

I've been reading Kathy Smith's book called "Lift Weights to Lose Weight." It's a good book with a lot of images and ready-to-use tips. I wanted to share what I learned from her, and I found her website, so I'm sharing what she says about motivation (it's easier to copy & paste). I am also inserting my own italicized comments along the way, as well as bolding key ideas. Please feel free to share other helpful ideas for keeping people motivated with fitness & health.
Melissa

Be Consistent

What's the secret to health and fitness success? That's the question I'm asked far more than any other.

The answer: Be consistent. Be consistent. Be consistent.

For more than twenty years, I've exercised every day (I'm only at 11, but I'm younger than Kathy Smith). Now, does that mean a full, hour-long workout? No. Some days, in fact, I only have time for ten minutes; other days, only thirty; still others, a strenuous, two-hour hike. There are periods when I'm traveling for a week or so and only able to get in a few minutes of exercise between meetings (yea, vacations are tough for exercise, unless you stay at a hotel with a gym). But whether it's ten minutes, thirty, or a long sixty, I make sure I work up as much of a sweat as possible. Not only because I'm trying to burn off last night's dinner or because I think it'll improve my cardiovascular capacity, but because I don't want to fall out of practice. That's what I mean by consistency - if you fall out of the habit, get right back on track. I agree - don't stop exercising. It's better to half-way do it than not at all. Partial exercise helps you maintain the momentum.

Often when I talk to people who aren't exercising on a consistent basis, I get the feeling that they have the best intentions, but allow one excuse after the next to interfere with their workouts (No excuses! I even exercised when I was crippled. A lot of people exercise when they are pregnant. Make exercise a priority, and you'll soon be addicted). Then, they lose momentum. "I was exercising and then all of a sudden I just stopped," is a common lament. "I don't know what happened; I just sort of quit. I haven't really done it for six months, but I plan on starting again right after my birthday." (You can maintain a level of consistency for anything, be it a foreign language, paying your bills on time, or spending time with loved ones).

But exercise and self-care is not an on-and-off proposition. It's a daily one. If you don't have time to do your regular workout in its entirety you don't abandon the whole thing. That's not the way to approach exercise.

Try thinking of it this way. You have a goal - an ideal, if you will. The ideal is to work out five times a week for at least thirty minutes. But if you can't get in all thirty, then you take what you can. That's the way life works. Just because you fall short of an ideal doesn't mean that you abandon its pursuit. Telling a single lie wouldn't compel you to give up honesty as an ideal any more than accidentally running a red light causes you to break every other rule of the road.

The hardest aspect of exercise is starting again after not doing it for a while. That's why I try not to lose my momentum - so I don't have to start all over again.

Just accept that you'll devote at least ten minutes a day to exercising, the same as you accept that you're going to have to eat, bathe, and dress. Now, those ten minutes may not necessarily be at the gym or on the track. They may be that walk you take by parking a little father away from the office. Or those stairs you climb instead of pushing the elevator buttons. (When you only have a few moments to exercise, find a handful of ones that you can do on the go or at home).

Once you choose to make exercise a daily part of your life, you start to see opportunities for it where before you saw only barriers. That viewpoint begins to create lifestyle changes, and produces a healthier attitude toward life in general.

No comments: