Monday, July 13, 2009

Maintaining Good Eating Habits

I am including a Kathy Smith bit of advice for consistency with eating. I will bold a few items, as well as comment with italics.
Melissa

Consistency also applies to eating - which is another question I'm often asked: How do you have the willpower to be good all the time?

Answer: I don't think in terms of "good" or "bad." Rather, I focus on eating in a way that serves me, my health, and my body. And that includes eating all kinds of foods, some of which many people may consider "bad." (Remember: bad foods are really only bad when not eaten in moderation).

If I had to explain it in terms of "good" and "bad," I'd say that you only have to be "good" 80 percent of the time. That allows you, pretty much, to do whatever you want with the other twenty and still not upset the equation. You can splurge on a Nestle's Crunch bar. Indulge your craving for Ben & Jerry's. Give in to the tempting smell of apple pie. Just be consistently on track the other 80 percent of the time.

By the same token, the 80-20 rule frees you from the trap of thinking that just because you ate four potato chips, you might as well eat the whole bag. (Don't eat the whole bag. That wouldn't be in moderation, now, would it?)

For instance, when I was pregnant with my first daughter, Katie, I developed the strongest craving for bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches. While this might not seem strange to you, I'd not eaten a piece of bacon for fifteen years. And yet, I could sit down and eat not one but two BLTs at a single meal. Concerned, I checked with my doctor, who assured me that the craving was normal, and perhaps I needed a little more salt in my diet.

After Katie was born, I fortunately lost my craving for bacon. Unfortunately, I've never lost my craving for chocolate. (How many of you regularly crave chocolate?) This is an ongoing issue for me. In fact, I'm learning to control my relationship with chocolate. I allow myself to eat it once a week - no guilt, no shame, no worry. The other days, I nibble on fresh fruit, or homemade rice pudding, or suck on a piece of hard candy to satisfy my sweet tooth. (I find that making yourself eat fruit throughout the day - for snacks - helps ease that refined sugar craving). I've also learned not to keep large quantities of chocolate around the house. If there were, I'd be tempted to nibble on it every day. I know myself. Giving myself permission to indulge has taken chocolate out of the "bad" food category - and it's no longer an obsession.

I feel a sense of calm about my eating habits. I never feel deprived, and I don't like to listen to someone talk about calories or carbohydrates when I'm eating. (Me neither. Just eat and be happy :) My attitude is, when you're eating, enjoy. And when you're satisfied, stop.

That's what I tell people when they ask for my health and fitness secrets. I tell them, the secret is consistency. The three-month, give-it-all mentality is only good for players in the Super Bowl. But when it comes to developing a healthy lifestyle, it's a day in, day out, week in, week out, year in, year out game plan that leads to success.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Jennifer May Chen at 17:39 on 16 July
my craving calls for Natural Cheetos as well as Deep-fried artichoke hearts from Gordon Biersch.

Melissa said...

Jennifer Arianrhod Erickson at 11:56 on 16 July
After reading the article, I think it's all about habits. If you have healthy habits (I do the fruit to fight sugar cravings thing too), then when you want something less healthy, you can safely break your routine. I worked at McDonald's as a teenager and I saw the same people every day. Not a good routine.

Melissa said...

Jennifer Arianrhod Erickson at 11:50 on 16 July
I indulge in a deep dish chicago style pizza from Little Star or Patzi's occasionally. The key is to do it rarely.

Melissa said...

Steven Serba at 11:00 on 16 July
good stuff. I don't feel so bad about the pizza I ate last week. It was from Little Star. It was so delicious.